Monday, January 5, 2015

A Last Look


Another year has begun, and that of course means another has ended. Today is the Twelfth Day of Christmas, and tomorrow is Epiphany. I took down my Christmas decorations yesterday.

This is always a bit of a melancholy moment for me, as the special time that is the Yuletide is now done. I remember when I was a boy, I used to sit and look at the Christmas tree with all of its light illuminated. Last evening, I noticed someone else doing that.


I tend to think of Tucker as the baby of my feline family. He’s not the youngest; Renn is. But his shape and his behaviour, and the sounds he makes, tend to give the impression of a tubular, furry infant. It was perhaps fitting then that I saw the roly poly one gazing at the Christmas tree, just before it came down. He was not looking at it as Renn had done. My big boy stared at it as if it were interesting, intriguing. Tucker looked at it with wonder. He was probably trying to decide if there was something on it he could eat. But he looked innocent and awestruck.

Good-bye Christmas for another year.

13 comments:

  1. I used to feel sad, feel the letdown, after the holidays, but now I'm just grateful to get through it all. Mind you, I like the break from the office and wish *that* wouldn't pass so quickly. :-)

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are already waiting for our tree to come back to us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is sad when it is time for Christmas to go away. Just have to move on to the next. You have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tucker looks so cute lying there gazing at the tree. Like you I love the lights. I took down all of my Santa and many of the decorations that say CHRISTMAS but i have left up some of the white lights. I just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes the Dad put all our cards in a nice pile and saved them away for us to ponder at some day of future not yet passed. The tree is still up fur a few day but we have tasted the ornaments and they have gone wanting of flavor to savor MOL
    We lament the passing of the season and will, in some 10 months time, await the seasons coming once again
    Timmy

    ReplyDelete
  6. he is so adorable....what a great image of Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that it's bad luck to keep your Christmas decorations up beyond Twelfth Night but I always do. I have to eek out one more day, Epiphany, before things go dark again. I'll have my King Cake tomorrow and each cat will get a section ( not to eat). I wonder which of us will be the King? Goodbye dear Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your King Cake tomorrow! Love the pictures of Tucker. I took all my decorations down yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you and Tucker, it's part of the Christmas tradition to sit in the light of the tree. There is something magical about it.

    Normally I would keep up my tree and other decorations until after Ukrainian Christmas is celebrated. (It was a tradition of my mom's). But with going away, everything was put away by the 28th of December. I suspect my cats would have done more than simply contemplate the tree while I was away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time for all of our lights and reindeer to get put away too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should have taken ours down yesterday but ran out of time. It is done now though. Flynn doesn't yet know it has gone. I took him for a short walk in the field the other side of the garden hedge. The sun was shining and the hedge sheltered us from the wind and it felt pleasantly warm. He really enjoyed getting back into the fields he loves. We came to walk back and as we went around the corner, the wind blew him over. I felt so sad for my poor frail little boy. I carried him back and he has slept ever since, tired but happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As your last word shows, he enjoyed being out again. Maybe it will be a long time before he recovers his strength, but if he doesn't fully, he will appreciate these little excursions all the more. Nonetheless, I understand that it is very hard watching them when they are less strong than they used to be. He's very lucky to have a loving family.

      Delete
  12. this is just too hilarious. i really loving it. Lost & Found

    ReplyDelete